Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bagels and Internships

My uncreative titling continues. But so does my recent blogging binge! Today I was yearning for a little soul food so I trekked the three blocks from the AUC building where my classes are held to Munch & Bagel, Zamalek's very own bagel shop. Yes, I discovered, they do have bagels with lox and cream cheese at this hole-in-the-wall stuck between the doner kebab stand and the Salafi koshary joint that makes the best roz bi-laban (like rice pudding). Instead of splurging, though, I got egg, cheese, tomato, and cream cheese on a sesame bagel and it was really delicious. Now I know what my go-to place will be whenever I miss home.

My second piece of news is that I went today to Manial to a women's NGO that I will be working part-time in the fall. Sarah and I got connected with ADEW through an Egyptian girl we met at the American diplomat's 4th of July party, and she arranged for us to meet today with a more senior person in the fundraising department. What they need our help with is planning and raising money for a medical center in Qalyubiyya, the governate just north of Cairo. Of course I know nothing about medicine, but I will work on brainstorming ideas for attracting donors, potentially making contact with American partners, translation, and potentially helping with plans for a civic education program connected with the center. It will give me experience with the daily work of an NGO and also allow me to get to know other members of the 95-person staff, who work on issues ranging from legal rights to youth to literacy to political education. Meanwhile, it looks like I might also be tutoring technicians at Darb 1718, the alternative art space, in English, once I return from my Ramadan vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment